Saturday, January 23, 2010

probably the best beer in the world and i had no camera

The Carlsberg factory may not have been the most exciting place to visit in Copenhagen but the cheap beer more than made up for it. Had I brought my camera I would be able to elaborate more on what I witnessed but I left it at home. It wasn't terribly exciting however since it was a self-guided tour. Reading is fun and all but I really came for one reason: the classic beer bottle collection the beer.

The beer was awesome. If I come back home without having developed any of the typical come-back-from-studying-abroad-characteristics like shoehorning it into every conversation or adopting local colloquialisms into everyday conversation (or starting a travel blog--shit) then I will certainly be forced to be the guy that sneers at American beer and drinks only the finest European microbrews. Except that I'm cheap so I may just do the former and not the latter.

Either way, the beer sommelier was knowledgeable and recommended a Carlsberg beer that had 10% alcohol. In the immortal words of Uncle Jemima's pure mash liquor, it means it will get you fucked up for less. As an added benefit it also tastes much better than King Cobra, Old English, Country Club or any of the other various malt liquors I drank in high school.

I must commend the Carlsberg family. Good taste in beer, art collections and they sponsor Liverpool. During the tour we were treated to a film screening where they show the 2005 Champions League finale highlights over and over again. Once they excise their editorial rights and remove the ginger family from talking about how they never gave up hope during the match then it will be a perfect film. I only wish that we had been able to bring our beer into this room.

That pretty much summarizes the events that transpired. Anything else would just make the trip seem much more grandiose than it was in reality. The beer alone is worth the price of admission since you get a tour of the place and two beers for 40 kroner. Since I usually pay 25 kroner at the bar for a single beer of lesser quality I'm going to wager a guess that I will be touring the factory a lot.

As a brief aside, the night ended with a get together with nearly everyone from my Danish language class. Our teacher even showed up which was interesting. He may have never respected my Danish abilities but he did compliment me on my whisky drinking capabilities. I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment